Breakfast is the first meal of the day after rising from night sleep. It is important in helping tackling obesity. Eating healthy breakfast has long term benefits. It reduces obesity, heart diseases and diabetes. It gives your brain and body a boost. So making time for a healthy breakfast in the morning makes a lot different. Breakfast gives you energy and regulates blood sugar. It improves your memory, concentration and aspects of mental performances. It improves your mood and makes you feel less stressed. It provides important nutrients like calcium, iron, Vitamin B, protein and fibre. Staying starved for a long time is skipping breakfast tend to accumulate more body fat. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual next meal. The growing body of kids and developing brains rely heavily on the regular intake of food. Skipping breakfast for kids is semi-starvation period which can physical, intellectual, and behavioral problems.
Breakfast should include cereals, fruits, and veggies, proteins such as eggs, beverages such as milk, tea, or fruit juice, and something like baked beans, sprouts, bread and butter, dosa, paratha, idli, upma, poha, appam, low fat yogurt, thepla, khakras, etc. Sandwiches, muesli, oats, nuts.
A good breakfast provides the nutrients that people need to start day. Children who eat breakfast perform better in school, pay more attention, are more creative, think better, score higher in tests. It kicks starts the body into producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat.
The single biggest health message is to exercise more. Exercising is a personal thing which considers your abilities, desires and personal fitness level. Walking and running are both excellent aerobic exercise. Both will help promote weight-loss, improves your sleep, elevate your mood, boost your energy level, decrease blood pressure and cholesterol levels and decreases the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Walking and running are low-cost, easy-to-do anywhere, year round activities. Both are to be done if you enjoy it and will be done regularly. Both are best in its own, but both have merits and demerits.
WALKING: ITS MERITS AND DEMERITS:-
Walking can be done in any place, any time and with anybody. It does need any special accessories. To start with exercising, walking is recommended, because it is less stressful than running. It cannot lose your weight as much as running. It is a slow and steady process. It burns fewer calories than running. Walkers take months to burn same calories that runners burn in weeks. Walking can be done by a person of any age and does not need any training.
RUNNING: ITS MERITS AND DEMERITS:-
Running has to be done with proper training. They need special accessories. Runners burn more calories than walkers. They have a better chance of maintaining weight and waist circumference. Running regulates our appetite hormones. Runners stress the immune system, damage the heart, damage cartilages, cause Osteoarthritis and risk of injuries. So walking is safer and better as an exercise.
Constipation also known as Dyspepsia refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass. Severe constipation includes failure to pass stools and progress to bowel obstruction. It is a common cause of painful defecation. The bowel movement differs from person to person. A normal person goes two to three times a day for bowel cleaning but, if a person who is without a bowel movement for more than three days is considered to be constipated.
Common causes of constipation:-
- Inadequate water intake
- Eating less fiber and large amount of dairy products
- Stress and depression
- Disruption of regular diet due to traveling
- Condition’s such as Parkinson’s disease
- Over use of laxatives weakens the bowel muscles
- Eating disorders
- Colon cancer
- Constipated person should see the doctor if it is more than two weeks and get diagnosed with some tests like blood tests etc.
To deal with constipation:-
- Eat well-balanced diet with plenty of fiber in vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grain bread, bran cereals.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Drink warm liquids in the morning.
- Eat prunes and prune juice regularly.
- Some exercises and physical activity is recommended for smooth bowel movement.
- Gentle enema is also given.
- Use mild softener or laxative as per doctor’s instruction.
- These are some precautions to treat constipation.
In modern times, many people are discovering that constant anxiety is eroding their quality of life. One of the reasons is tension that has becoming companion of man due to mental work over physical work. Mental exhaustion can manifest itself in chronic fatigue, headache, depression, boredom, overeating, bloating and sleep disorders.
Few tips to calm the nerves and combat stress:-
- Herbs like ashwagandha, eleuthreo and tulsi act as nervine adapt gens and reduce stress hormones such as cortisol. Among the herbs that relaxes nervous system are jasmine and chamomile tea, passion flower and blue vervain and they taste good.
- Jatamansi has sedative properties and is very effective in treating anxiety, insomnia, migraine and also used in treating Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s too. Brahmi revitalizes brain, removes toxins and blockages in nervous system and improves memory and concentration. Herbal oil vacha aggravates pitta and improves vata and kapha doshas. It boosts memory and treats depression and anxiety.
- Oats with cow’s milk are beneficial.
Emotions are said to have an effect on the body, so nutrition, herbs, oil massages, herbal oils, exercises and meditation can go a long way in alleviating urban stress.
Allergies exist in summer due to drastic rise in temperature. Summer air pollution can make allergy symptoms worse. Biggest summer allergy trigger is pollen and weeds. This pollen gets into our nose and eyes and they overdrive the immune system. Allergies can have outdoor causes like dust mites, cockroaches, insects, ant bites which can cause life threatening allergic reactions. Insects thrive in warm and humid temperature in our beds, fabrics and carpets and their residues can cause symptoms like Runny noses, burning and watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, tightness of chest, difficulty in breathing, tickling sensation in nose, throat and ears, nasal congestion and nasal discharge are some of common symptoms.
Some of these allergies are:
- Dust allergy is worst in summer, because dust mites love warm and moist areas. This allergy causes runny and itchy nose.
- Seasonal asthma is worse in summer due to humidity. If becomes difficult to breathe and cause nasal congestion.
- Nasal allergy is caused by pollen that enters into our nose and can nasal congestion and nasal discharge.
- Summer-cold symptoms can cause fever, muscle aches, body aches, runny nose, sore throat and fatigue.
Getting over allergies:
Wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer, drink plenty of fluids, take plenty of rest, spend some time outdoors, treat the symptoms and take advantage of seasonal fruits to boost your immunity. See the physician for diagnosing and treating allergies.
It’s vacation time and also travel time. Vacation is accompanied with risks and chances of picking food infection while traveling. The hospitality and food business are at its peak in summer holiday season. There are some things to keep in mind to keep infection at bay:
- The risk of infection increases due to food cooked in large quantity, freezing it, again and again reheating it can prone to bacterial infection.
- Apart from that non-hygienic water, poor sanitation, poor storage facility and bad disposal management increases the chances of food infection.
- Avoid cut and peeled roadside fruits and vegetables which are pre-exposed to flies.
- Above things can upset stomach and cause gastroenteritis consisting of vomiting, pain in stomach and abdomen, diarrhea and chances of getting prone to typhoid and jaundice.
- Always be hydrated and drink boiled water while travelling.
- Always carry important medications and doctor’s prescription to avoid situations of vomiting, loose motions etc.
- Immunization is advised if you are travelling to other countries, where there are chances to prone infections.
BE CAREFUL WHILE TRAVELLING AND ENJOY YOUR VACATION AND HAVE FUN FAMILY TIME.
The most commonly affected part of our body in summer is ‘eyes’. The scorching heat of sun causes great danger to the eyes. Summer can take its toll on our eyes. The sunlight increases the risks of developing cataracts and damaging retina. Protect your eyes from risks of UV rays that spread from sunlight. Increased exposure to sunlight can come in the form of hay fever. Hay fever sufferers endure symptoms of itchy eyes and nose, sneezing and difficulty in breathing. Even expose to pollen may leave eyes swollen and weepy. Eye allergies include mild itching, redness of eyes to severe watering and swelling of eyelids, sties, bacterial and viral conjunctivitis. Viral conjunctivitis is most prevalent eye problem and immediate treatment is necessary because it can worsen the eye condition and results to swelling of eyelids. Eye infection is due to intense heat; avoid using air conditioner, because it can increase your eye problem.
Some care for eyes during summer:-
- Make sure to protect your eyes with good quality sunglasses.
- Wear large sun hat or visor, which provides an additional protection to eyes from sunrays.
- Avoid mid-day sun; stay inside because at this time strength of sun and UV rays exposure is at a peak.
- Stay hydrated and keep your eyes moist by sprinkling cold water twice a day to feel relaxed.
- Don’t apply sunscreen close to your eyes as it can cause irritation.
- Wear spectacles rather than contact lenses.
- Always wash your hand before you put your contact lenses in your eyes.
- Use antibiotic eye drops and ointments under medical supervision.
First aid is important in emergency cases. Emergencies take place all around us, in all phases of life. Someone may be injured at work, school or at home. When this happens, first aid essentials will endow anyone around the injured person to decrease the danger posed by the accident. We shall check it out what things should be included in first aid kit:
- Allergy medication
- Anti-nausea medication
- Diarrhea medication
- Anti-biotic cream and ointment
- Antiseptics and disinfectants
- Gauze bandage, pressure bandage and elastic bandage
- Sterile pads
- Clear adhesive film
- Vinyl protective gloves
- Instant cold packs
- Insect repellant
- Hand sanitizer
- Calamine lotion
- Any prescription drugs that are regularly taken by family members.
First aid kid should always be kept within the reach of all family members. You can request First Aid kit from our site too. Click here.