Constipation also known as Dyspepsia refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass. Severe constipation includes failure to pass stools and progress to bowel obstruction. It is a common cause of painful defecation. The bowel movement differs from person to person. A normal person goes two to three times a day for bowel cleaning but, if a person who is without a bowel movement for more than three days is considered to be constipated.
Common causes of constipation:-
- Inadequate water intake
- Eating less fiber and large amount of dairy products
- Stress and depression
- Disruption of regular diet due to traveling
- Condition’s such as Parkinson’s disease
- Over use of laxatives weakens the bowel muscles
- Eating disorders
- Colon cancer
- Constipated person should see the doctor if it is more than two weeks and get diagnosed with some tests like blood tests etc.
To deal with constipation:-
- Eat well-balanced diet with plenty of fiber in vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grain bread, bran cereals.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Drink warm liquids in the morning.
- Eat prunes and prune juice regularly.
- Some exercises and physical activity is recommended for smooth bowel movement.
- Gentle enema is also given.
- Use mild softener or laxative as per doctor’s instruction.
- These are some precautions to treat constipation.